Commitment for Long Term
You don’t develop strength and courage in your relationship by being happy every day. Rather, it is the tough times that bring out the best out the relation between two people. There are certain aspects of a relationship that must not be avoided at any cost in order to commit to a relationship for the long haul. These habits are highlighted below:
1. Don’t criticize, be welcoming – It is often noticed that two people who have stuck together for too long begin to criticize each other’s every move. This could take a toll on your partner leading to both of you becoming frustrated of one another too early into the relation. Instead, welcoming new ideas and creativity is one aspect that would aid your relation grow emotionally. Being positive about every new idea or opinion is a healthy habit. Embrace it.
2. Don’t be too possessive – You have committed to being with your partner and so has he/she. That’s really all you need to know to keep your relationship going. There is absolutely no need to become too clingy because all that does is suffocate your partner. Both of you need your personal space. Try not to invade it.
3. Expect the least, infact expect nothing at all- When it comes down to expectations, lower them to the lower most level one could ever think of because the greater your expectation, the greater will be your heartache. If your partner really loves you back, eventually he/she will start surprising you out of the blue with little gestures of love and affection. And, when these gestures come about unexpectedly, they will be the most rewarding.
4. Having healthy conversations – Taking time out to converse with each other is one very significant aspect that helps builds on strong relationships. It aids in developing a good understanding of your partner and also caters to a progressive relationship.
5. Respect. Appreciation. Compromise – These three are the pillars to every successful relationship. If you know you’re in it for the long haul then all you need is to respect your partner in every decision, social and family gathering etc. Appreciation is another cornerstone of every relation. The more a partner feels appreciated, the better the prospects of your relationship to flourish. Compromise builds the foundations of every relationship present. It helps develop understanding as well as aids in cooperation with your partner.
Follow these simple ground rules to ensure a lasting healthy relationship!